The day your first child is born, there are about a million ways in which life as you know it will never be the same. Here are a few truths about motherhood that I never really thought about before I became a mom.
1) We hear our babies crying all. the. time. Neighbor’s dog barking? Distant ambulance siren? Goose honking while it flies by? Somehow they all – at least momentarily – sound like our baby’s cry.
2) We learn just how much it’s possible to accomplish with only one arm. Who knew I could make Nutella cupcakes with buttercream frosting while holding my infant son the entire time?
3) Things come out of our mouths that we never would have expected. “Sweetie, don’t chew of Papa’s flip flop.” “No honey, that’s not Mama, that’s Michelle Obama.”
4) Our kisses take on the magical power to make pain disappear.
5) Even if we absolutely swore we’d never do baby-talk, Read more
You made it through a year of parenthood! Before your very eyes, your baby transformed from a tiny helpless creature who could basically only eat, poop and sleep into an active one-year-old who can laugh, crawl, play, and might even be starting to walk or talk. Baby’s first birthday isn’t just a milestone for her – it’s also the anniversary of the day you became a parent. The day your little one was born, your life changed forever. You’ve probably never known such joy and love, but you’ve also probably never felt quite so exhausted. It’s easy for mommy-hood to completely take over your life and identity for a while. I think this is pretty normal. Particularly in the first few months, your baby is so helpless that it takes all your time and energy just to tend to his needs. But by the time baby has turned one, life has most likely calmed down a little, and baby is probably better able to handle being apart from you. Once all the presents have been opened and the icing has been cleaned out from behind baby’s ears, Read more